Author Topic: Sway Bar Frame Mount Rivet Nut Replacement.  (Read 14016 times)

Offline Ag77T/A

Sway Bar Frame Mount Rivet Nut Replacement.
« on: March 31, 2013, 03:52:38 PM »
I thought I would share my rivet nut repair.

A couple of bolts were stripped out of the sway bar frame mounts on my replacement subframe.  Evidently some of the later frames were just threaded like the camaros and did not use rivet nuts so I decided to install some like my original '77.

I sourced the large flange steel 3/8-16 inserts from Fastenal SKU:0125625

I had the benefit of borrowing the installation tool but after a quick search WWW.HANSONRIVET.COM sells the same type I used plus gives a little instruction on proper use.

*********************************************************************************************************************************

First I drilled out the original bolt threads to a size slightly smaller than the OD of the rivet nut then used a rotary rasp to make sure I had a snug fit with the knurls to keep it from rotating during installation.

I then used a rivet nut tool to install making sure not to crush the nut by overtightened the tool.
If you don't have a tool you can make your own using a hardened bolt and nut with a couple of thick washers.

Finished product that IMHO is a much stronger mounting point.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 01:29:07 AM by Ag77T/A »

Offline gilbertsta

• "Live Like You Are Dying"
Re: Sway Bar Frame Mount Rivet Nut Replacement.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 04:02:32 PM »
looks great!

Offline Greenbird76

• The way Grandma wishes she could of ordered it!!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 10:19:20 AM »
Looks really nice and clean.  Good work

Offline TransAmconvert

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 11:51:14 PM »
I had same problem with rusted Rivetnuts and grinded them off. It was hard to find rivetnuts until I saw your message. Fastenal ordered for me and got them next day shipping. I installed them, using bolt with nut paired with double washer to tighten the rivetnuts to frame. Thanks AG for the information.  ;D

Rick
'78 Trans Am painted red over original Platinum silver
Carmine Red interior
400 cu. in. Quadrajet
Automatic Tranny

Offline Ag77T/A

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 06:48:07 PM »
Glad to hear some of my info helped you out.  I've gotten so much information from the members here it's good to hear I've contributed to the board myself.

Offline dpoltzer

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 03:25:18 PM »
Hi and thanks for the great post.  I can get the rivet nuts for a buck a piece but Fastenall wants over $100 for the tool.  Can you explain how I would make my own  tool with the hardened bolt please?

Thanks,

Dave
1973 TA Brewster Green &, 1975 TA 455 4spd.

Offline Craig

• Black Trans Am
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 02:38:34 AM »
Perfect timing for me. I need to do this and that tool company is 10 minutes from my house. Is that rivnut for the stock size bolts?

There are several videos on YouTube how to make the tool. I tried to make one. Worked on 2 of the 4 rivnuts on my Honda. It's crude, but works (sometimes) in a pinch.
Thanks!
Los Angeles, CA
www.BlackTransAm.com
1978 Blk/Blk L78, Auto., 2.56