Author Topic: 1978 WS6 front spring rating  (Read 2596 times)

Offline J Bo

1978 WS6 front spring rating
« on: July 27, 2020, 04:05:33 PM »
Hello All,
I'm brand new to the forum and I am sure my question has been asked countless times so my apologies up front.  What is the front spring rating on the 1978 WS6 package?  I have seen 425 lbs stated elsewhere on the net but wanted to make sure.

Thanks

Offline Jefe

Re: 1978 WS6 front spring rating
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 05:21:11 PM »
Not sure of the rating. They changed depending on installed equipment. BUT, I can tell you NOT to buy them from Eaton Detroit Spring. Their "claim to fame" self proclaimed I'm sure... is that they use factory blueprints to twist their wire. After a few conversations with their sale rep, I ordered a set for my bird. When they arrived, they were one inch shorter than the original springs. I contacted the sales rep and his statement was that they use a heavier wire than stock so the spring is shorter. Long story short, sort of, I installed those springs and the car sat over 4 inches TALLER than original ride height. I have the manuals. His stance now is to wait until we drive the car to get a feel for the "actual ride height"... I pulled those springs into the pockets with the spring compressor. If they're not seated, they never will be...
Jeff-
Current project
1979 Firebird Formula / in the family since new
Previous projects
68 Chevelle
72 GTO
78 DKM Trans Am #127

Offline J Bo

Re: 1978 WS6 front spring rating
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 10:24:36 AM »
Thanks Jeff.  4" higher?  That seems crazy!  My TA is an iron head 400 with no AC and the battery in the trunk.  I'm going with the Hotchkis TVS 1 suspension kit which comes with 600 lb front springs.  That seems really stiff to me considering the massive sway arm that comes with this kit.