Author Topic: Missing Brake Bracket on Axle (77 Trans Am)  (Read 2520 times)

Offline BigBird1977

Missing Brake Bracket on Axle (77 Trans Am)
« on: July 26, 2021, 02:50:43 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I was installing my new brake lines from InLine Tube yesterday and I realized I have nowhere on my rear axle to mount the end of the rubber hose connector.  It looks like there is supposed to be a bracket hanging off of the driver side of the rear axle, but I don't have one.  Does anyone know where I could get a replacement, or I am open for other options.  My hard line terminates on the rear side rail, so clamping a bracket to the diff. cover is too far away for the rubber hose to reach.

Thank you in advanced.

Brian

Offline BigBird1977

Re: Missing Brake Bracket on Axle (77 Trans Am)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 02:54:40 PM »
This is the way it was when taken off.....just hanging in the air....

Offline b_hill_86

• Sterling to Starlight
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 07:38:31 PM »
I’m not saying they aren’t available but I had a hard time finding one when I did an axle swap. I was able to rob the one off the old axle tube and weld it on to the new one. Sorry, I know that doesn’t help.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed hardtop

Offline b_hill_86

• Sterling to Starlight
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 07:42:19 PM »
Hadn’t found this before but this might work. Not identical but might do the job with a bit of cutting.

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/hc28.html
-Brian-

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 09:45:39 PM »
There was also an extra adaptor piece that was used by twin muffler cars, as they ran too close to existing junction. Many aftermarket exhausts are this way so be sure it isn't too close when you fix it back in place.

Metal cable ties may be useful in wrapping around the axle tube and securing either the junction or a bracket that it is located on. It wouldn't be a solid fix but not bouncing around either. Hard to do at present if not installed in car.

The original mounting plate usually had 2 dimpled spot welds onto the tube. Look on your existing tube for the original location, shown by the snake bite marks!

Hard to tell on small blurry phone screen but I think the marks I'm seeing are actually the bend over tabs. I'll post a pic or two later if still needed.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 09:54:51 PM by Aus78Formula »

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 11:31:23 PM »
A few extra pics, not that great. This is the adapter plate version, regular version with single crossflow muffler simply bolts directly into the tab bracket. The two prongs support and locate either the hose or the bracket, but often broken off or cut off?!

Firebird diff brake line dual muffler bracket by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Firebird diff brake line bracket dual mufflers by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

IMG_2362 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

IMG_2369 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Diff powdercoated mockup3 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Diff 241 Posi 8 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 11:36:17 PM by Aus78Formula »

Offline BigBird1977

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 01:46:44 PM »
Thanks for all the info and the pics.  Looks like I will need to get a "current" bracket, hammer and bend, and weld a new one on....

Always something when working on them....but we would not do it if we did not love them.

Thanks again....

Offline b_hill_86

• Sterling to Starlight
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 04:42:42 PM »
Those are great pictures! I hadn’t seen that extra bracket before. I should spend more time digging through my manuals
-Brian-

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2021, 02:03:06 AM »
Looking at your pic, BigBird, the bracket would need to go roughly where that spotwelded bend over tab is. I'll have to look up a few more pics to see what that is, unless you are able to see a mounting locating where it once was.

I found a few more variations of the already posted diagrams. Also, one that showed the mounting bracket located off the diff cover bolt hole, but being in the 1972 Manual was likely a carry-over from the 12-bolt diff diagram, similar to the link Brian posted. You know that yours is likely the original rear and a 10-bolt?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 02:21:16 AM by Aus78Formula »