Trans Am Information > Interior

Anyone Done a Classic Auto Air A/C Kit on a '78 Trans Am?

(1/4) > >>

782:56gears:
I am considering this kit, but it is made for the '70-78 Camaro and will need some adjustements. They do offer a Pontiac kit for the engine compartment, but the items under the dash will require fabrication, though the evaporator/heater core is supposed to be bolt in using the same template as the chevy's. I"m undecided on whether to get lap coolers from an A/C car. I have obtained an A/C dash bezel for the center air hoses. A big difference is that the pontiacs had plastic molded ductwork instead of hoses.

Here is a link to the Pontiac compressor kit. I have seen their condenser offered for the T/A, but in a different kit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-PONTIAC-TRANS-AM-A-C-Compressor-Upgrade-Kit-AC-78-/400137966342?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2a14d306

I'm wondering if anyone else has tackled an A/C install with the Camaro kit? There are somethings you may not want to be the first kid on the block with.

Gunner:
I've GOT one..............have yet to USE it................it was SUPPOSED to be installed in my car LAST JUNE...........but thats another story.

Gunner

Hmmmm......looks like I have to decide whether to be the guinea pig on this.

I"ve been looking into the kit further. The reason there is no "direct fit" is because of the molded plastic ductwork the firebirds have, instead of round hoses. Getting the round hose to adapt to the rectangular ductwork will be the hang-up in adapting the camaro kit to firebirds. The heater core/evaporator box is supposed to bolt right in.

Would anyone have suggestions on how to adapt a 2" round duct (it might be 2.5") to the molded ductwork of the firebirds? I would also want to use center vents and an A/C dash bezel.

If I can determine how to do this, I'll take the $1,300 plunge and be the guenea pig.

Gunner:
Hey HEY HEY! There's only room for ONE guinea pig here ;D. That was what my body guy said. He'd have to fab crossovers from hoses to the fixtures behind the dash because of the plastic ductwork. The one thing that REALLY irked me is that that kit is ADVERTISED for Firebirds and Camaros as a bolt up fit. Also another thing is that the control cable runs will have to be worked on a little because the Firebird controls are all vacume, and the Camaro are cable controlled. The Vintage unit is cable controlled as well, so it might take a little fabbing to get it working right, but it is doable. Basicly you have to take the face plate off the dash control unit and mount it to the Vintage Air control head. Either that or look at some non stock weirdness sitting in your dash. One more thing I forgot to mention. There is a control knob with the unit that has to be mounted somewhere in the cab because it has a thermostat behind it. My body guy and I argued LONG and HARD about that one (I wanted to hide it inside the console bucket, or down by the accelerator pedal where nobody could see it), but it's going to end up, unfortunately, next to the rear window defog switch, because it has to be somewhere where the ambient temp is about normal. Not real wild about a non stock warble in my dash, but it is what it is. The missus will not get in that car without AC. :-\

Gunner

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version