Author Topic: 78TA Forum Suggestions  (Read 9456 times)

Offline Hellas

Re: 78TA Forum Suggestions
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2022, 03:52:55 AM »
Deleting picture heavy content like the for sale ads will be a good start. 

Deleting dormant users will do nothing as this is a database and their signature may be the biggest part, which still does nothing.
If you delete old members AND their posts, you will gain some space, but risk losing valuable info. 

The big data is in the write-ups and good posts that you WANT to keep. 

You could go through the threads manually and delete which is not applicable, as nobody knows better than the guys here which posts is/was really helpful in the past.  But this will be a draining effort...

PS: Also I'm just posting my first post here not to get deleted :) Been a member since 2013, Good luck and I appreciate the upkeep of this forum!

Offline ShakerBreaker

• Adv. Member
  • All Hail Phil Anselmo
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2022, 04:15:57 AM »
Mr. Campbell,
Do what ya gotta do.
Personally, I have always loved this site.
Poked around on this site for years, before I ever joined.
To this day, I still jot down 78TA.com on paper for people I meet randomly in the world with TA/bird questions.
Yeah..... There are plenty of other sites with info.
But the FACT is, this site was one of the first and the best for F-body.
Other sites exist because of what was created here.
Thank You and ALL member's for this site!!!!
Been sick in the head about Trans Am's since a child of the 70's.
Shakerbreaker..........
-check out DOWN-NOLA.com

Offline TurboFrog

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2022, 04:38:30 AM »
Hi, and thanks for the entire site/concept. As someone who more or less only use the site to find quality information in times of need, i feel that as long as the knowledge is safeguarded, do as you please with the flock. One could always reapply for membership. If there is another site with better information than here, please post the link :-). Thanks again!

Offline winks79

• Chad
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2022, 07:55:27 AM »
Yes to both of your questions. Have enjoyed the site over the years. Sometimes things have to change.

Offline Almarks

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2022, 08:06:23 AM »
I agree, delete what you need to and if you need donations to keep it rolling post it up.  I hadn't logged on for quite some time until last week when I was needing some information.  This site has been a world of help to me on my TA and much appreciated.  Love the site and hope you can continue to keep it going.  Best of luck and thanks again for your time and efforts and keeping the spirit alive!

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2022, 08:45:01 AM »
If my opinion counts for anything, I say do what you need to do in order to keep the site up. I know I'm not alone when I say that coming here and other quality sites are far more enjoyable than going onto other social media programs like Facebook. I don't enjoy those spots a all!

I noticed there were a few lurkers that have replied here so perhaps their fates can be spared as they took time to express an interest but those lurkers that don't, can always re-register to site.

One of those suggestions was to cut members who haven't logged in for 10 years or more, but I would look at bumping that up to the last 5 years. Anyone who has disappeared for more than 5 years and comes back is going to expect that they might have to start over. I believe that might have even included me at one point and I was surprised that my info and membership status was intact. I had fully expected to have to start over.

In the end, you do what you feel is right for the website, and most people will understand and the rest will either get over it and re-register at some point or won't even notice they've been cut from the fold.

Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)

Offline Rockford

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2022, 08:46:38 AM »
I'm all for your suggestions!  This forum has been my go-to site, as it has been to many.  Very informative with a lot of nice people here, too.  I check this site daily, but don't always log in.  Especially when I'm searching for something in particular.  Thanks for everything you have done thus far!

Offline PDFormula

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2022, 09:03:12 AM »
Concur with your suggestions.  Thank you for everything you've done so far.

Offline TA 988

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2022, 10:04:35 AM »
I am guilty of not posting. I use the membership for valuable information in restoring my T/A. As far as posting, I don't think I have anything to add, due to the level of experience of the most of the members in the forum. For suggestions, Delete any users who have not signed in, or logged in in the past 10 years, and any old parts posts, or ebay listings. You are giving members who are not active, notice to become active, or get out. I appreciate what You have done, as the in formation on this site has been a gold mine for all of us the want accurate information. Thank You for your efforts.

Offline jimbonze

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2022, 10:15:22 AM »
I am not a big "poster" on this site, but I do use it for research.  Please keep it going.  Also willing to donate if needed!

Offline EscapeDan

« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2022, 11:17:57 AM »
1. Is it ok to delete the members who have never logged on and ones who have not logged on in over 10 years?
2. Is it ok to get rid of those posts I mentioned?

Yes and Yes.

But more importantly, thank you for the very thoughtful post - you clearly put a material amount of time and effort into everything that makes this site work. And that is obviously appreciated by everyone that has been replying. Personally,  I had posted lots of material to another forum and unfortunately it seems to have all been lost due to some technical issues. I would hate to see that happen again and would be happy to repost lots of my old content here for future users.

Finally, it would make sense to setup a donation page - your members (me 100% included) are all telling you we would donate. Take us up on it. We spend tons of money on parts, gas, and all the other stuff to keep our cars going. I'd be you get decent funding.

THanks for all you do!!!

Offline whitetaildreamer

• Stephen
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2022, 12:00:22 PM »
Thank you for all your work. I truly appreciate all I have learned from this site as well as the motivation it has given me to continue with my TA. I am sure some streamlining is required when a project has been running for years. Easiest answers are the best and the changes you have mentioned Brett definitely address the issue of size without effecting the initial direction of this site. Thank you again for your dedication to all of us.

Offline wwc

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2022, 02:30:13 PM »
I would answer yes to all of your suggestions. As one who does not post very much nor one who signs in a lot I think your assumptions are correct and fair.

Offline wilkster_twins

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2022, 04:35:46 PM »
Both of your suggestions sound fair to me.

Offline Harpo55

« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2022, 05:50:44 PM »
I like both your suggestions. Good idea to clean up old item which have zero value.