Author Topic: Saratoga All Firebird Lawn Show.....this Summer  (Read 17583 times)

Offline hdebo

Re: Saratoga All Firebird Lawn Show.....this Summer
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2009, 11:33:40 AM »
Great job on getting the information. I have a question tho, is there a minimum of acceptable mods to keep you in the original class? My example is my 79 fits the criteria for original except the cut dash for radio. Just wondering if this would hurt me in a class full of heavily modified and updated cars.

Thanks Again for the information and see you in July

Harry
Harry

"A Camaro looks like it can kick your a**,  A Trans Am looks like it's coming over to do it"

Offline Black_Bird_99

Re: is there a minimum of acceptable mods to keep you in the original class?
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2009, 08:30:59 PM »
I have a question tho, is there a minimum of acceptable mods to keep you in the original class? My example is my 79 fits the criteria for original except the cut dash for radio. Just wondering if this would hurt me in a class full of heavily modified and updated cars.  Harry

Harry, your question is a classic one for all time.  I have struggled with that question myself, when entering car shows where I compete, and could enter in more than one class.
The real question normally is, 'Where do I have the best chance of winning?  In the Stock class with my few mods?  Or the Modified class with my few mods?'

There is no minimum number of acceptable mods to keep you in stock class.
We are trying to make this work by:
1.  offer more chances for people with modified cars to compete against other people with modified cars and not have to compete against the stock cars.
2.  let all participants class themselves, that is, no tech lines, etc.
3.  keep cars with certain defined mods from competing against the 'pure stock' 'untouched' 'un-modded' cars.
4.  We reserve the right to move any entry not properly classed.  As always, the decision of our judges is final.

The real crux of the matter here is that people with modified cars, for the most part, have less chance to win an award when competing against a very clean car with no mods.
Most judges lean towards the very clean factory stock car when comparing a very clean stock car against a very clean modified car.
So we split the classes to give the people with the modified cars a better chance to win an award and compete against their own type.

That is why we set up these guidelilnes:
Stock entries will also be judged on correctness and originality of a stock car.  The key here is that any exceptions should maintain a stock appearance
Someone entering the stock class should expect that maximum points will go to the most factory correct or factory appearing correct car. 

So to address your example, we put in these guidelines:
2009 Stock Class guidelines and allowable exceptions:
Any updated radio, stereo, CB, or radar detector that fits without dash modification.

So if your updated radio fit without cutting, chopping, modding the dash, or if it fit with very minimal cutting, chopping... so that the chopping is really not noticeable from outside the car, then probably you are OK. 
If you just had to shave 1/8" or 1/4" and not noticeable from outside the car, once again, you are probably OK. 
If you really had to chop 1-2" from the top, bottom, or sides, and it is really noticeable, then you should really go to Modified class. 

The key here is that any exceptions should maintain a stock appearance

Someone entering the stock class should expect that maximum points will go to the most factory correct or factory appearing correct car.'

Now if the only thing keeping you out of the stock class is the 1/2-3/4" cut to accommodate the modern radio, then you can probably go into stock class and expect a minor deduction for your cut dash, as you would expect a minor deduction if the dash in your stock car was split, faded, sunbleached, cracked, etc.  But if you got the Boom Box speakers in the back, then you really belong in the Modified class because you would have a better chance to compete against all the other Boom Box vehicles with chopped dashes.

Also keep in mind the guidelines for the Modified classes
2009 Modified Class guidelines and changes requiring placement in Modified Class:

Modified entries will also be judged on presentation, quality of workmanship, ‘coolness’, ‘bling’, and cohesiveness of theme.

The following changes require automatic placement in the Modified Class:
Any audio system that includes dash modification or large amplifier systems.
Any exterior speaker systems that are clearly non-factory appearance in design or color.

So in summary, we are asking you and all of our great participants to class themselves and put themselves in the proper class.

We are trying to maintain a down-home low-stress family-friendly All Firebird Show.
Our founding principles rotated around great participants, great cars, a great environment, and a great cause.
It has never been all about the trophies.
It is Number One a fund-raiser for Special Olympics.
It is Number Two an All Firebird Lawn Show.

On the other hand, we recognize that Car Show is synonymous with trophies and awards and we cannot survive without offering them.  So we try to offer a reasonable number of awards on a level competitive field with knowledgeable, dedicated, and impartial judges.  We recognize we cannot please all of the people all of the time, but we try hard, and that is all we can do.

For 2009:
We pledge to give you the absolute best value for your time and money that we can deliver, while maintaining a low-stress easy-going family-friendly attitude as a fund raiser event for Special Olympics. 
We recognize that you may have to choose where to spend your valuable car show time and finances. 
We hope you will budget some of your time and resources for the 7th Annual All Firebird Lawn Show. 
We promise to do our best to ensure that you have a great time and want to come back year after year.

I hope I answered your question and concerns.  Please feel free to PM blue81ta (one of our senior judges) for further clarification or send me a direct e-mail if you have further questions.

I thank you, Brett, and all the great folks on 78ta.com for your interest in our event and Special Olympics fundraiser.

Truly,
Tom Smith in Saratoga Springs NY
tsmith24@earthlink.net
Just an old guy driving a young mans dream.
1970 Formula YS400, a matching #s Hard Top survivor in Arrest Me Red
1991 WS6 Trans Am Convertible, 1 of 555, gone but not forgotten.
1999 Formula WS6, 1 of 175 made

Offline hdebo

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2009, 11:35:53 PM »
Thanks Tom,
Your clarification really helps a lot.
Harry

"A Camaro looks like it can kick your a**,  A Trans Am looks like it's coming over to do it"

Offline Black_Bird_99

Re: wonderful day for family, friends, Firebirds, and for helping a great cause
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2009, 12:01:00 AM »
Hammer, thanks for the kind words.

I look forward to meeting you and working with you.

To think that in July of 2003, Keith & I were so excited to hatch this idea and dream of bringing 35 Firebirds together.  It would be the first time in our area that an event would have Firebirds ONLY!  No Camaros, no Cudas, no motorcycles, no trucks, no street rods or hot rods, .....  Just Firebirds!

Fast forward to today, Firebird friends and enthusiasts from OH, VA, MD, DE, CT, NJ, PA, NY, MA, RI, VT, NH, RI, and QC and Ontario Canada are coming together.  Everyone with a common passion for Firebirds and a common cause to help raise $$$ for Special Olympics!

If you told me 6 years ago that a bunch of really great people from all of the above US states and Canada would not only come together in Saratoga, but also give up some of their time and volunteer to help with all of the tasks necessary to this event, I would have thought you were smoking wacky tabacky!

But then I would have been wrong.  So many great people, so many great cars, such a great day!

I thank you.

Harry, glad I could help.  Thank you for the question I expect a few others may have wanted to ask.  We will see you in Saratoga in July, and to you sir, I also say, Thank you.  Tom.

Offline Maryland Bandit

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2009, 09:50:55 AM »
I have this one penciled in to attend as well as the nats. Even if I don't bring the car, I'm hoping my son and I can come up for an overnight there. Just have too see where the funds are in July.   
We attended this show back in 2006 and it broke 105 cars. Well worth the 6 hour drive up from Md. Hope to do it again this year.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 09:52:34 AM by Maryland Bandit »
1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am # 592
1979 Y84 S/E - sold

Offline Black_Bird_99

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2009, 10:31:09 AM »
Hi Tom,

I think we are on track this year to see 150-170 Birds.  Since you were here last, the quantity and quality has jumped in leaps and bounds.  I really hope you can come and be a part of this event.  It really has become your 'Must Make' show if you are a Firebird enthusiast.

I understand about the funds.  If you have to attend w/o your Bandit Bird, so be it.  Better to be a part of the show with your son and the Firebird friends and enthusiasts with a daily driver in the parking lot than stay home wishing you were here.

Hope to see you in July Tom.

Good luck,
Tom Smith in Saratoga Springs

Offline Hef

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2009, 09:43:43 PM »
Hi Everyone, figured this is as good a place as any for my first post here.

Tom, that might be 172 Firebirds in Saratoga this summer. If I can find someone to drive my 67 400, I'll drive my new (Used) 02 CETA, or maybe the other way aound. Just picked up the CETA a couple weeks ago. Love it. Went looking for a show to go to, now that I have completed my 1st and last year collection:)

Is there a Campground up there? Dumb question, I'm sure there must be, just didnt see anyone talking about it.

Hoping to make it up there. Anyone passing through NJ let me know, maybe we can ride up together.

Hef

Offline Black_Bird_99

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2009, 06:06:07 PM »
Hey Hef,

Here is a link to all the campgrounds in the area:
http://www.saratoga.org/visitors/where_to_stay_in_saratoga_county/saratoga-campgrounds.asp

Many are also staying at the Fairfield Inn by Mariott ($119/night) or the Locust Grove Motel ($69/night).
Here is a link for hotel / motel info, show flyer, directions, etc:
http://clubs.hemmings.com/frameset.cfm?club=firebirdnationofnorthamerica/download.html

I know of a few passing up through NJ.  If no one jumps on about that, give me a call at tsmith24@earthlink.net and I will hook you up.

Thanks for coming,
Tom in Saratoga Springs NY
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 06:07:51 PM by Black_Bird_99 »

Offline Black_Bird_99

All Firebird Lawn Show Updates
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2009, 09:30:09 PM »
Here are some updates for the 2009 7th Annual All Firebird Lawn Show.  Pre-registrations are coming in like crazy and we predict more than 150 Firebirds at the show this year.  To pre-register, please go to http://clubs.hemmings.com/frameset.cfm?club=firebirdnationofnorthamerica/download.html for Registration form, driving directions, show flyer, link to High Performance Magazine coverage of the 2008 All Firebird Lawn Show, Class and Award Structure info, and Hotel – Motel info.  Pre-registration is not required, you can just show up the day of the show, but all Pre-registered cars are guaranteed Goodie Bags and Dash Plaques no matter what time you show up.

All Firebirds in this show are parked on grass.  We allow 6 feet between cars from side to side.  And we allow 18-20 feet between cars from front to back.  We promise we will not pack you in like sardines!  And we will not bake you alive on pavement.  You can tan on the turf under the Saratoga Sun or cool off under plenty of nearby shade trees.  There is also plenty of room for sun umbrellas on fields adjacent to the show field, but no sun umbrellas or tents are allowed on the show field due to insurance requirements.  There is plenty of nearby truck and trailer parking for the trailer queens and long haulers.

Goodie Bags and Dash Plaques go to the first 150 Firebirds through the gate.  Goodie Bags will be the best yet!  Minimum donation required for registration is $10, but we ask you to please be generous.  All money raised goes to Special Olympics NY.  We are holding the line at $10 for the Car Corral too, so Car Corral entries are minimum $10 donation.  For Sale signs are only allowed in the Car Corral and Car Corral entries are not eligible for competition.

Registration opens at 9:00 a.m. but we will allow early Birds as soon as registration is setup.

There are Lots of trophies this year with a new awards structure.  All Generations are broken down into Stock and Modified Classes.  Each class has trophies for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.  Plus other trophies include Athlete Choice, Coach Choice, Dealer Choice, Museum Choice, Joe Nolan Award, and Jumbo Best of Show.

And new for 2009 Firebird Nation of North America, Inc. is proud to offer a Best Club Participation Award.  FNONA, Inc. offers an award to the club that brings the most Firebirds to the show.

Plus Special Olympics Athletes pick their Favorite 25 to receive Special Olympics ribbons.

This year we offer breakfast offerings and fresh morning coffee in addition to $2 hot dogs, $1 beverages and other snacks.

50/50 Raffle is back for 2009 and Athlete DJ Nolan will provide music again.

It is the absolute best low stress family friendly Firebird Only Show that you can attend in the East!

Please remember our new Show Rate at the Fairfield Inn and Suites is available for one night stays this year, no two night minimum stay required, but you are welcome to stay two nights or more.  You must make your reservation soon; the group rate must be booked no later than June 10, 2009.  Visit them at http://www.marriott.com/albam or Call them toll free at 1-866-368-6900 and ask for the Firebird Show Rate. 

If you are more budget minded and do not need all of the Fairfield Inn amenities, the Locust Grove Motel http://www.locustgrovemotel.com/  is offering a $69/night rate, but caution, they are not trailer friendly.  For more details on both hotels, click on Hotels/Motels at http://clubs.hemmings.com/frameset.cfm?club=firebirdnationofnorthamerica/download.html.

Following is the 2009 All Firebird Lawn Show awards structure:
1st gen 1967-1969 Stock
1st gen 1967-1969 Modified

2nd gen-1: 1970-1976 Stock
2nd gen-1: 1970-1976 Modified

2nd gen-2: 1977-1981 Stock
2nd gen-2: 1977-1981 Modified

3rd gen: 1982-1992 Stock
3rd gen: 1982-1992 Modified

4th gen: 1993-2002 Stock
4th gen: 1993-2002 Modified

All Stock Class entries will be judged on cleanliness and attention to detail over the entire car from top to bottom and based on 100 point system.  Convertible tops up, T-Tops installed, driver side window down.  Stock entries will also be judged on correctness and originality of a stock car.  The key here is that any exceptions should maintain a stock appearance.  Someone entering the stock class should expect that maximum points will go to the most factory correct or factory appearing correct car.  The following are allowable exceptions in Stock Class competition:

Stock appearing floor mats, door handle inserts, door lock knobs, and stock appearing aftermarket shifter.
Any Firebird wheels from the same model year, any updated tires and stock appearing valve stem caps.
Any aftermarket exhaust system (excluding headers) with stock appearing tips.
Any factory option from the same model year and any stock appearing window tints
Any updated radio, stereo, CB, or radar detector that fits without dash modification.
Any stock type body side moldings or factory type aftermarket replacement parts
The stock hood scoop made functional (opened up)
All parking stickers, permits, and club stickers are permitted.

2009 Modified Class guidelines and changes requiring placement in Modified Class:

All Modified Class entries will be judged on cleanliness and attention to detail over the entire car from top to bottom and based on 100 point system.  Convertible tops up, T-Tops installed, minimum driver side window down.  Modified entries will also be judged on presentation, quality of workmanship, ‘coolness’, ‘bling’, and cohesiveness of theme.

Any custom paint including a non-factory available color
Any non-factory headers, or aftermarket, fabricated, or custom intakes
Any non-factory engine chrome, aftermarket carburetor, or non-stock appearing wheels
Any upholstery changes that are clearly non-factory in appearance, design, or color.
Any exterior speaker systems that are clearly non-factory appearance in design or color.
Any non-stock appearing emblems, birds, paint, or graphics.
Any body modifications including non factory hoods, scoops, blending of seams, etc.
Any aftermarket engine or other engine not available on that model year
Any aftermarket blower, fuel injection, turbo, tunnel ram, nos, tubbed, roll cages, etc.

For more information, please visit  http://clubs.hemmings.com/firebirdnationofnorthamerica or contact tsmith24@earthlink.net.  As always, we thank you very much for coming to our Special Olympics NY fundraiser car show and please drive safely.

Offline blue81ta

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2009, 05:20:59 PM »
Mike, if you're not bringing your car, there's no need to register.... just show up and have a great time. :) Just over two months and I'm really getting excited. :)

Looking forward to meeting you and your wife too.
Keith
1981 Trans Am

My safe haven from all of life's bs

Offline Hef

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2009, 09:19:33 PM »
Sounds great, looking forward to it. Really hoping I can make it up with both of my birds. If I do bring them both up, can they be parked side by side, or are they seperated by year. I have a 67 and a 2002.

Thanks
Hef

Offline Black_Bird_99

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2009, 10:39:45 PM »
Birds are separated by generation:

Following is the 2009 All Firebird Lawn Show awards and parking structure:

1st gen 1967-1969 Stock
1st gen 1967-1969 Modified

2nd gen-1: 1970-1976 Stock
2nd gen-1: 1970-1976 Modified

2nd gen-2: 1977-1981 Stock
2nd gen-2: 1977-1981 Modified

3rd gen: 1982-1992 Stock
3rd gen: 1982-1992 Modified

4th gen: 1993-2002 Stock
4th gen: 1993-2002 Modified

All Stock Class entries will be judged on cleanliness and attention to detail over the entire car from top to bottom and based on 100 point system.  Convertible tops up, T-Tops installed, driver side window down.  Stock entries will also be judged on correctness and originality of a stock car.  The key here is that any exceptions should maintain a stock appearance.  Someone entering the stock class should expect that maximum points will go to the most factory correct or factory appearing correct car.  The following are allowable exceptions in Stock Class competition:

Stock appearing floor mats, door handle inserts, door lock knobs, and stock appearing aftermarket shifter.
Any Firebird wheels from the same model year, any updated tires and stock appearing valve stem caps.
Any aftermarket exhaust system (excluding headers) with stock appearing tips.
Any factory option from the same model year and any stock appearing window tints
Any stock type body side moldings or factory type aftermarket replacement parts
The stock hood scoop made functional (opened up)
All parking stickers, permits, and club stickers are permitted.

All Modified Class entries will be judged on cleanliness and attention to detail over the entire car from top to bottom and based on 100 point system.  Convertible tops up, T-Tops installed, minimum driver side window down.  Modified entries will also be judged on presentation, quality of workmanship, ‘coolness’, ‘bling’, and cohesiveness of theme.

Any custom paint including a non-factory available color
Any non-factory headers, or aftermarket, fabricated, or custom intakes
Any non-factory engine chrome, aftermarket carburetor, or non-stock appearing wheels
Any upholstery changes that are clearly non-factory in appearance, design, or color.
Any non-stock appearing emblems, birds, paint, or graphics.
Any body modifications including non factory hoods, scoops, blending of seams, etc.
Any aftermarket engine or other engine not available on that model year
Any aftermarket blower, fuel injection, turbo, tunnel ram, nos, tubbed, roll cages, etc.

For more information, please visit  http://clubs.hemmings.com/firebirdnationofnorthamerica or contact tsmith24@earthlink.net.  As always, we thank you very much for coming to our Special Olympics NY fundraiser car show and please drive safely.

Offline TAKID455

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2009, 11:02:35 PM »
tentatively I plan on attending with my 74 ta. Its a work in progress, however. a few of us may drive from north NJ early morning( before 9 am)  if others want to join. We'll be traveling I 80 east to I 287 N to I 87 N (NYS Thru-way) to the show.  PM me and I'll see what I can do about arranging a meet spot. Hopefully I can make it w/o stopping for gas :)
2nd Gen Engineering
Specializing in Suspension and Driveline Performance Engineering
Custom/ Racing/ Restorations

Offline Black_Bird_99

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2009, 11:46:46 AM »
T-shirt for 2009 is the SE Bandit which was Best of Show in 2008. 

$15 each, all sizes except Small, but if you need small and tell me right away, I can probably squeeze a few in the order.  Let me know.

Otherwise, MED, LG, XL, XXX.

Offline Black_Bird_99

Best Club Participation Award for 2009
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2009, 06:43:13 PM »
Best Club Participation Award

This is an Open Invitation to all Internet and Local Firebird clubs including Charter Oak Firebirds, Trans Am Country, 78TA.com, LS1.com, Firebird Nation Car Club (not FNONA, Inc.), New Jersey F-Body Assoc, Third Gen.org, World Wide F-Body Hideout, CCFBG, Firebirds Forever, POCI Chapters, and all others.

For 2009, FNONA, Inc. and the All Firebird Lawn Show will present a ‘Best Club Participation’ Award.  Whichever online car club or local car club (host FNONA, Inc. not eligible) brings the most Firebirds to the July 11, 2009 All Firebird Lawn Show, that club will be awarded a club participation award.  Club members must list their club affiliation at time of registration and assemble as a club for presentation and photo.  The photo may be used in High Performance Pontiac magazine.  The club with the most members present wins the award.

This award will be special.  We have commissioned a local craftsman to custom design and manufacture a One of a Kind plaque.  The plaque will be machined from Hickory hard woods.  A pair of horse shoes from a thoroughbred horse that ran at Saratoga Thoroughbred Race Track will be inlaid into the hickory plaque.  The shoes will be set facing up, to ensure that the receiving club gets good luck in 2009.  The plaque will also be fitted with an engraved plate that shows the award is for Best Club Participation at the 2009 All Firebird Lawn Show.

Do not miss out on this award.  Round up your club membership, assemble your Birds, and Flock to Saratoga for the July 11, 2009 All Firebird Lawn Show.  You do not need to arrive altogether (but it would be great).  You just need to be sure that you list your club on the registration form in the space labeled Club Affiliation.

All info here: http://clubs.hemmings.com/frameset.cfm?club=firebirdnationofnorthamerica

We thank you very much for coming to the 7th Annual All Firebird Lawn Show.  Please drive safely and enjoy knowing that all money raised goes to Special Olympics New York.

Tom Smith in Saratoga Springs NY.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 06:53:46 PM by Black_Bird_99 »