Author Topic: Trunk Torsion Rod  (Read 2821 times)

Offline photojoe

Trunk Torsion Rod
« on: January 13, 2021, 09:53:54 AM »
Hi
I need a new hinge torque rod spring for my Firebird with spoiler. I wonder if I should order new ones or rather the used ones from the junkyard. It is a dailydriver and so the originality is not important to me. I want something reliable. So I prefer to think new than 40 year old parts. I am just amazed that the used parts are just as expensive as the new parts. Did the old parts fit better?
What would you recommend?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 09:59:30 AM by photojoe »

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
Re: Trunk Torsion Rod
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 01:54:32 PM »
Junkyard replacement, if you can find one will work fine. They are the same from same model years of the Camaro as well. Another option I've seen is the use of hydraulic cylinders
Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)

Offline photojoe

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 04:20:33 PM »
Hi Nexus,

just to understand, what's better about those 45 year old used parts. I'm afraid that they will break after a short time due to their age.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 06:55:34 PM »
I've heard the opposite, that the new ones can also break and not have enough strength to lift the lid with the spoiler. That could be incorrect installation or using rods for standard deck lid with no spoiler too.

For a 40 year old part, they are usually perfect, haven't broken or become weak. Based on that I'd be happy to install used, just need to find a good set that have been removed and happy to ship around the world, otherwise, probably the same with shipping new item. Check the insulation sleeve as well, I think it was inserted prior to assembly so a bonus if still intact and in place.

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 01:18:38 PM »
Hi Nexus,

just to understand, what's better about those 45 year old used parts. I'm afraid that they will break after a short time due to their age.

To further Aus78Formula reply, they are likely a lot cheaper than new. I have also never had an issue with them!!!

I believe there are 3 notches to set the bar into for tension adjustment and there a posts on here and other sites for making the tool you need to get them set right.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do!!
Charlie

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 01:20:56 PM »
Has nothing to do with the post but I was just wondering how many kms it is to go from Germany, to Canada, to Australia and back to Germany...ohhh how the internet has brought everyone closer together!!
Charlie

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 04:00:43 PM »
Since it's just us, how funny are those American guys...?!  ;)

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 02:09:50 PM »
hahahaha.....It's like a box of chocolates....you never know what you're going to get!!  8) ;D
Charlie