Author Topic: 3rd Generation Twisted Frame  (Read 2535 times)

Offline PontiacFan 78 / 89

3rd Generation Twisted Frame
« on: October 23, 2006, 10:54:18 PM »
I have a problem that I hope that someone can help me with.  I have an 89 Firebird Formula with the 5.7L engine and automatic.  I have owned the car since new and it has never been in accident.  The other day I decided to change fluid in the rear axle.  I put the back wheels up on “rhino ramps” and to level the car I supported the front of the car with jack stands under the lower control arm.  To get the front of the car up I could not get my floor jack under the car because of the low air dam on the front.   To get the body up some I used the factory jack on the drivers side.  Once the body was up enough I used my floor under the cross member and raised the car up.  The fluid swap went well and I lowered the car back down.  I put the front down first, but since my jack would not clear the air dam once the car was back down I used block under the drivers side front tire to keep the body up so I could get my jack out.  I let the back down and then removed the block under the drivers front.  All went well until I tried to get in the drivers door.  It would not open more than a few inches before it hit the front fender.  I went to passenger’s door and it opened fine.  When I tried to start the car it sounded like the starter was mis-aligned.  Lots of grinding, but no cranking.  How could I have twisted the car that much by just jacking it up and putting it down??  The car has 83K miles on it and has been well taken care of.  While the car was being raised and while it was in the air, I did not open any doors, hood or remove the T-Tops and the windows were up.  I did have the hatch open while I was raising it and lowering it.  Does anyone have any suggestion on what to next??  Any suggestion as greatly appreciated.

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 12:01:25 AM »
That does sound strange.  I have an 89 Trans Am and I have jacked it up numerous times almost just like the way you describe and I have not had a problem with the doors or starter after I have done that.  I never had the rear hatch open, but I dont think that makes too much of a difference since the rear hatch is just glass anyway and not any kind of support.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline PontiacFan 78 / 89

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 08:49:46 PM »
Yea it really surprised me when I tried to open the door.  The car has never been abused, so I that is why I not sure what direction to go next.  This weekend I am going to try and remove the air dam so that I can jack the front of the car up and get both wheels off of the ground at the same time.  My thinking is that maybe this will allow the front to striaghten out.  I know that it is a long shot, but I am out of ideals.