Author Topic: Z28 "WonderBar"  (Read 3536 times)

Offline 1978TransZeppelin

Z28 "WonderBar"
« on: February 26, 2008, 07:18:01 PM »
Hey guys I was reading High Performance Pontiac today in detention :lol: and they mentioned "wonderbars" for third gen t/a's and camaros. My question is would one fit on my 2nd gen firebird? and if so is it even worth doing?

I found this info about them,
"Wonder Bar AKA Steering Brace, They provide additional support to lower front-frame keeping it square under cornering pressure also take stress off the frame especially around the Steering Box where some older cars begin to develop stress cracks. I believe on "real" OEM IROC cars they were actually standard equipment along with larger dia. Front Sway Bar."

Offline zeus

Re: Z28 "WonderBar"
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 10:10:40 PM »
They were optional on iroc and 1LE cars and common on them but no required, only one of the irocs i parted out ever had the darn things on it out of i beleive 6 >:(,i kinda think they may have been a option on the GTA as well., i cant say if their worth it or not, ive heard the arguments for both sides but never tried it.  I have heard alot of rally racer say they are realy nice on cars used for road courses, but on a daily driver i dont know.  Im not sure that a stock one would fit, but you can get aftermarket ones that are adjustable to fit a variety of cars, and if you can get the measurements a welding shop should be able to make one pretty easy for a lower cost.   But i dont know how worthwhile they are on a 2nd gen.

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 04:35:37 AM »
"Worthwhile" is also gonna' depend on your intentions for the car....
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline WarbirdTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 12:35:18 PM »
The frame part of a thirdgen is very thin, compared to the thick subframe of a second gen.
On the thirdgens, agressive steering causes the bottom and side of the thirdgen frame to crack.
You don't want that.
So, IROCs got them.
No Firebirds (including GTAs) ever got them.
I have not checked out alot of thirdgen 1LEs to verfiy that they got them. Either Firebird or Camaro.
Hardly any thirdgen Firebirds were made.
It's very hard to crack your second gen subframe. From turning that is, hitting is another matter. ;D

George  8)

Offline 1978TransZeppelin

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 07:18:33 PM »
WOW! Thanks for that info George.. Iv never thought about the thickness differences. I have a base model firebird with a 1'' (25mm) front sway bar is it worth my time to put in a Trans am sway bar 1 1/4''?? thanks let me know what you suggest.

Offline WarbirdTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 11:04:57 PM »
Well,
I am a firm believer of bigger is better!
I upgraded my convertible Trans Am with the bigger sway bars as well. ;D
Wider tires than the stock 225s make the car handle better as well.

George  8)

Offline 79T/Aman

• http://www.pro-touringf-body.com
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 09:14:04 AM »
who makes an adjustable one? we are mthe onlu ones to make it for the 2nd Gen, that brace is not realy there because of the sway bar but more to keep the left and right frame rails paralel from the high steering load