Author Topic: 78 Trans Am Aftermarket Rear Disc Brake Conversion?  (Read 8127 times)

Offline restoreamusclecar

78 Trans Am Aftermarket Rear Disc Brake Conversion?
« on: February 25, 2007, 12:58:08 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with installing a rear disc brake convertion to a ws6 1978 trans am.  I have heard some horror stories on installation, but didnt know if anyone has any personal experience?  Looking for a solution to help with better stopping power after installing a 500hp motor.  Thanks  Dave
hanks,
Dave Hall

Restore a Muscle Car LLC
4511 N. 56th St.
Lincoln, NE 68504

dave@restoreamusclecar.com

Offline HughJass

• Geoff
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 01:59:56 PM »
Steve (Maltese Falcon) has a post over at TAC, he is doing this on his Fire Am  conversion.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

79 W72 WS6,  work in progress - nicknamed Lucy

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 02:38:21 PM »
Yep, but you'll have to content yourself wtih what he's already posted.  Prior to the crash over there he had a thread documenting what he's done rather exhaustively, but it went down with everything else.  Now Maltese Falcon is out of circulation until mid-March from some eye surgery scheduled for this next week. :(  :?

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 03:29:12 PM »
Great, thanks for the feedback.  I will try to email him and see if he has any additional input on how the conversion went.  I am looking into a couple different solutions and dont know what will work the best.  Thanks again.
hanks,
Dave Hall

Restore a Muscle Car LLC
4511 N. 56th St.
Lincoln, NE 68504

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 03:57:31 PM »
Just don't be discouraged if you don't get an immediate answer.  Steve is suffering from a detached retina and he's going to be immobilized, face down, for two weeks+ after the surgery! :?

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 09:50:05 PM »
I hope everything goes ok for him.  That sounds very painful and not any fun at all to have to deal with.  I did find that Wilwood makes a conversion that is suppose to be a fairly straight forward conversion.  Thanks
hanks,
Dave Hall

Restore a Muscle Car LLC
4511 N. 56th St.
Lincoln, NE 68504

Offline bad76

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 09:09:27 AM »
I installed a Stainless steel brake company kit on my 76 and it was one of the easiest things I did on my car. I paid around $500 for the kit and it has performed great.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 07:03:43 PM »
just buy a disc rear and swap out everything... :D by the way if you are looking for a rear i have one....3.42 gears too :D
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....