Author Topic: trunk lid spring  (Read 6609 times)

Offline ttops

trunk lid spring
« on: May 29, 2006, 09:22:32 PM »
i was out for a drive in my 1980 T\A today, beautiful sunny weather, tops out, when BANG, i thought someone nailed my car with a golf ball!  I pulled over and walked around the car looking for a dent or some kind of damage but didnt find anything(i was in the country doing 80km\hr with no-one around) when i got home i looked again and found nothing. then i opened my trunk to get the t-tops out and found i had no spring action to hold the trunk lid open,  i looked at the hinges and on the drivers side there are two slots where the bar can sit and its pooped out. its still hooked in on the passenger side. this has caused the whole trunk lid to pull in on the passenger side at the top and caused some paint damage. the drivers side can be pushed back in but it doesnt stay and wont hold the trunk open. the bar that runs from drivers side to passenger side isnt snapped. what do i have to do to fix it?
980 TRANS AM

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Re: trunk lid spring
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 10:05:37 AM »
I haven't done it, but I'd rather replace a heater core!

You have to remove the rear window moulding.  Then remove the back piece that covers the springs.  Then remove the springs and replace everything.  There are tow types of springs, one set for a trunk lid with a rear spoiler and one without it.

There are two springs.  What I've done to adjust the spring, is to use a deep well scoket and breaker bar on the end of the spring to move it out of the bracket.  You should cover the springs with a tarp or heavy blanket in case they explode.  

Not a fun job.  But I'm sure Brett could give us some insight on doing this.

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
trunk lid spring
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 02:47:23 PM »
yes, my insight is "Watch Out!".  Those springs are under alot of tension and have been know to fly accross my shop 30 feet or so.  Yes, wrap the spring in a heavy blancket to avaoid the spring flying around and doing damage.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline ttops

trunk lid spring
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 06:15:19 PM »
thanks for the help, i'll let you know how i make out.
980 TRANS AM

Offline HughJass

• Geoff
trunk lid spring
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 08:53:55 PM »
Quote from: Hitman
yes, my insight is "Watch Out!".  Those springs are under alot of tension and have been know to fly accross my shop 30 feet or so.  Yes, wrap the spring in a heavy blancket to avaoid the spring flying around and doing damage.
Jeesh!, this is good to know!
Any other booby traps built in these cars we should watch out for?!
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

79 W72 WS6,  work in progress - nicknamed Lucy

Offline ttops

trunk lid spring
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 09:26:19 PM »
just checking with you guys before i start. its the cross spring thats come disconnected. it runs from the drivers side to the passenger side and connects to the trunk hinges on each side. is this the spring that your talking about?
980 TRANS AM

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
trunk lid spring
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 08:25:54 AM »
Those are the springs.  There are two of them.

Offline ttops

trunk lid spring
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 11:41:14 AM »
ok, i'll get into it this weekend.thanks again
980 TRANS AM

Offline brads1978ta

Re: trunk spring
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 12:31:53 PM »
you must turn the spring one revolution before putting it in the slot.
i had to do this on my 81 ta and its not an easy job but it makes the trunk as good as new.

Offline brads1978ta

trunk lid spring
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 09:42:16 AM »
Just a reminder, Those springs just don't jump out.  There is a reason for the failure.  I had the same problem on the outer edge of the spring holder it was wore out and it failed.   You can weld new metal in or find a good hinge on an old car and weld it in place.  Good luck!!   Just remember to cover that spring steel bar it will come out of the bracket like a rocket and put alot of hurt on every thing around it.

Offline ttops

trunk lid spring
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 11:01:49 PM »
well it took me about 2 months but i finally got my trunk fixed! after removing the window trim and cover i found one spring had snapped at the shorter end right at the bend. you could see a bit of rust on the snapped end so it had been cracked for a while.
i went to the local wreaker and they had 1 1979 t/a stripped to the bare shell nearly but i lucked out. both the springs were intact and brought them both home with me. hopefully i never have to replace one again as i nearly lost the end of my middle finger on the first attempt to rotate the replacement spring before getting it into the hinge.  that thing jumped loose on me after i twisted it around 360* and before i knew it blood was pumping out of my finger like a water fountain.lol
anyways its all good now, i even scored a gas cap door with a bird on it, and a mint pair of tail lights. the original rear window is also still intact and i plan to go back for it soon.
thanks everyone for all the advice
980 TRANS AM

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
trunk lid spring
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 06:00:16 PM »
Is the rear window a defogger window?  That's worth the upgrade if you don't have that feature.  The hardest part to find is the timing circuit.  The rest is easily available on ebay or at classic (purple wire).  It's basically plug and play.  All the basic wiring is included in the harness (except the purple wire that goes from under the dash to the rear window).  Remember to pull the ground strap that's located on the passenger side and connects to the connector on the back window.  

One thing to note is there are two different timing circuits, each has two connectors that attach from the main harness.  Both circuits have a three blade connector.  However, the other connectors are different.  The second connector for a 1978 had one blade, while in later years (I'm not sure when it started but I think it was 80 or 81) the second connector had two blades.  Check your harness, if you see a single black wire with the connector it's the 3-1 circuit, if you see a black wire and pink wire it's the 3-2 circuit

Offline ttops

trunk lid spring
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2006, 09:16:16 PM »
yes it is a defogger window. my 1980 t/a has rear defrost already. im not sure exactly what year the wreck is, but i'll check it out when i go back next week.
980 TRANS AM

Offline ttops

trunk spring
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 10:11:05 PM »
i went back for the window...and.......and...........and they crushed the car!
its gone forever:(
no window:(
no door handles:(
no body molds:(
all......gone........forever!
980 TRANS AM

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
trunk lid spring
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 01:27:07 PM »
Yeah!  My T/A just increased in value....