Author Topic: Decals Question  (Read 32893 times)

Offline BAMA TA

Re: Decals Question
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2012, 08:00:39 PM »
Thanks, this has been a long time coming. I've still got the engine compartment to redo (after sitting in the body shop for so long). I'm happy with the way it came out.

Offline Driver79

• 1985 Trans Am 5.0L
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
I plan on going white with the black window trim to but I'm going to do blue decals on mine. I've still got a long way to go yet though. Hope it turns out nice.

Offline BAMA TA

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2012, 09:53:50 PM »
White hides A LOT. The body work turned out so good on this one, it could have been a dark color and been just fine. My trim started stainless. I've blacked out the trim on previous Z's and always liked the look. I used SEM trim black. No need for a primer coat. I love the blue birds. It's a clean, classy look against a white base color. Good luck!

Offline Driver79

• 1985 Trans Am 5.0L
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 12:55:18 AM »
Ive heard that white is a forgiving color to work with. I plan on doing everything I can as far as body work goes (I have no experience :/ ) I love a really bright white. It stands out but It gives it a really clean look. My car was originally silver and the trim is black Im not sure if its been painted. but I work in a powder coat shop so I will probably just have them repainted with a semi gloss black.

Do you have other pics of your car?

Offline BAMA TA

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 11:13:54 PM »
Ive heard that white is a forgiving color to work with. I plan on doing everything I can as far as body work goes (I have no experience :/ ) I love a really bright white. It stands out but It gives it a really clean look. My car was originally silver and the trim is black Im not sure if its been painted. but I work in a powder coat shop so I will probably just have them repainted with a semi gloss black.

I used just straight PPG mixing white. I know it's not a factory color, but I like the white that makes you sneeze when the sun hits it. No real good pics of the car yet. I've still got some work to do on it this winter. Some of the trim isn't on , one of the grills, headlight bezel and general clean up. 

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 04:51:21 AM »
Very nice Bama!  I love the white and gold cars
Dave
_______
1981 Trans Am - Refresh in progress

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2012, 04:53:02 AM »

i just had mine powder coated in a satin which is the correct sheen. Semi gloss might be a bit too shiny.
Dave
_______

Offline PhoenixGraphix

• www.phoenixgraphix.com
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 01:06:46 PM »
That's a great looking T/A, love the Gold over White!  Bubbles in the application are normal and as you now know within a few days they completely disappear.  Several people have expressed concern over shelf life as well as the clear transfer tape we use on this thread.  I'd like to take a second to address those issues.

As long as the decals are stored in a cool, dry place they'll store for many years.  It's very important that the decals are not exposed to water or humidity.  If the backing paper get wet and reacts with the adhesive, its game over.  It will not release.  If the decals are going to be stored for a while, it would be a good idea to unfurl the decals a few days prior to application, thus letting the vinyl relax. 

As far as the clear transfer tape goes, we've been using it for a few years now.  It has a little different feel and appearance from the paper mask originally used by GM (most new decals come with a clear transfer tape).  The clear has been met with some mixed reviews but overall most people are very happy with the product.  Application fluid does not evaporate as quickly through the clear so a couple more hours of "curing" time may be required.  If the tape leaves a residue, it can be easily wiped away with a clean towel and a little lighter fluid as earlier stated.

As always, we stand behind our products 100%.  We feel our products are second to none and will continue to strive to be the best.  If anyone ever has a concern or question we can be easily reached on our toll free 800.941.4550.

Awesome looking T/A, Bama - glad it all worked out for you in the end!

Offline ScottD3

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2012, 05:38:15 PM »
I second Stencil and Stripes far better than the PG stuff and goes on without any problems.

Offline norwood

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2012, 08:41:40 AM »
our products are second to none and will continue to strive to be the best.

No comment
OUR DAY IS COMING SOON

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2012, 01:53:19 PM »

No comment
also no comment. Stencil and stripes has superior customer service
Dave
_______

Offline ScottD3

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2012, 02:23:29 PM »

No comment
also no comment. Stencil and stripes has superior customer service

Agreed!

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2012, 02:37:01 PM »
Wow! It looks like Phoenix Graphix has some thinking to do. The guys who support Stenciles and Stripes have been long time members and contributors here. This isn't the only forum that the majority has complained about the clear release film. I don't know where PG is getting their info from but if they litsten here to their customers, They hate it!.

Either PG goes back to paper or PG just goes!

Well PG, the ball is in your court.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN9tR_TZa9w

« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 02:39:59 PM by JupiterBandit »

Offline BAMA TA

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2012, 04:36:24 PM »
wooooooooooow! If I had that much trouble, I probably would have just ripped my bird off the hood. The paper backing wasn't bad at all, but that clear stuff looks like a nightmare!

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
Decals Question
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2012, 05:03:11 PM »
I've done both styles with paper and vinyl backing and I have never had problems. The only issue I have known of or dealt with is the guys that order the decals too early and have them sit in storage forever and it causes issues. But can still be dealt with. The gold that Phoenix uses on stripes fades to brown really fast, and the clear layer pulls color out of them too. But again I would still use them...
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....