Author Topic: WARNING EBAY SELLERS USING MUTLIPLE ACCOUNTS TO DRIVE UP BIDS  (Read 4923 times)

Offline BlackTransAm

WARNING EBAY SELLERS USING MUTLIPLE ACCOUNTS TO DRIVE UP BIDS
« on: January 20, 2013, 08:59:45 AM »
I have been on Ebay 12 years and have  come across  sellers who sell NOS and used
Firebird Trans Am parts. I have caught them  using mutliple accounts to run up bids.

I bid on a part in Dec., the bids went way up, in Jan. the exact same part was for sale,
when I asked what happened, he said they never paid. I doubt it highly. He recently sold
an item and same thing happened, and the exact same item is now for sale. :o

A good indication of this is if after the bids run up they offer you a "2nd Chance offer"
 Another indication is they use "private listings" so you cant see who bought  items
or the feedback left for them. The way around getting caught using "2nd chance" is to wait and relist later.
 But I watch for NOS parts and have caught on. :D

They sell very nice parts and I cant prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt, but 12 years I've learned a lot. And Ebay will do nothing about using multiple accounts. The higher it sells the more they make, so I am not going to name them , just beware and dont overbid and look at their feedback.
 And watch out if they offer you a second chance! AND if they dont use a "reserve price" is red flag ;)

There is one I will mention who is straight up Trampas205 and Trampas206 he uses one for fixed price and the other for bids.
He does not play with bids and uses a "reserve price" so he doesn't have to sell to low

I have always found this site(Hitman) to be straight up and an awesome source of info. so I am warning all who use it and might be new to builging and/or Ebay

Offline gilbertsta

• "Live Like You Are Dying"
Re: WARNING EBAY SELLERS USING MUTLIPLE ACCOUNTS TO DRIVE UP BIDS
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 11:03:18 AM »
set your price and be willing to lose. dont pay more than you want. they can run up the price as much as they want, but when they have to keep relisting because an item doesnt sell it will cost them money and time.

Offline winks79

• Chad
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 08:21:23 PM »
set your price and be willing to lose. dont pay more than you want. they can run up the price as much as they want, but when they have to keep relisting because an item doesnt sell it will cost them money and time.
X2, exactly what i would say.

Offline ScottD3

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 11:08:49 PM »
Name them so we don't bid on anything from them.

Offline BlackTransAm

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 08:49:25 AM »
I cant name them because they may block me, I have already asked them enough questions
to let them know I'm on to their scam. There is only 3 who sell mostly NOS Firebird
and the one I did mention is straight up. If they have PRIVATE listings and feedback
you found one.
 Theres another guy who sells used stuff out of MI, he tries it also but is not as
experienced as the other two at running up bids. He ran a bid up on me for an item,
I lost because I wouldn't go higher, 3 weeks later same part listed he did it again and
gave me a "second chance offer" so I bought it at that price.

No reserve and private listings are the warning signs

LIKE WAS QUOTED SET A PRICE AND DONT GO OVER IT, THEY'LL MORE THAN LIKELY GIVE YOU A SECOND CHANCE OFFER AT YOUR PRICE

Offline gilbertsta

• "Live Like You Are Dying"
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 10:56:48 AM »
i won an auction and it was a really good bargain. it was free shipping. i knew it would cost more to ship than the price i paid.  then the ebay seller emailed me to say someone broke into his car and stole it. i checked the local craigslist and found the same seller selling the part(at 4x what i paid) anyways you win some and lose some, but at least there is a place like ebay to find the stuff you need. 98% of the time i am happy with the transactions..... i found an nos ashtray for $525.00 . good luck to the seller! lol

Offline BlackTransAm

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 11:09:18 AM »
Yeah its a good place to find parts, but the scammers sure can ruin a good thing.
 Bosscamaro is another seller he, usually has a buy it now price and will take offers
I bought several items from him and he's always been fair

Offline ponchonutty

• Adv. Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 11:18:46 AM »
I too have noticed the same thing.  Now, personally I've had this happen more than once when trying to sell my car on Ebay.  I don't know if it is just wishers or what.  The last time though I feel it was a pure mistake....well sort of.  The guy contacted me afterword saying he figured out it was going to cost too much to ship overseas where he was.  Would have thought he'd check into the costs BEFORE bidding though.  Most of the others just seem to fall of the face of the earth after they win the bids.
Rich enough to own a TA, too poor to keep'm all ;)
1980 TA (1st car)
1989 Formula
1976 400 4sp
1976 400 auto
1978 WS6/W72 4sp
1970 455 4sp Formula clone
1980 Indy Pace TA

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 08:47:19 PM »
Bosscamaro is another seller he, usually has a buy it now price and will take offers

Mario's parts (BossCamaro) are legit.  I sell him quite a few parts, which he reconditions and sells.  He has always been honest with me.

Offline BlackTransAm

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 11:03:18 AM »
Mario's Ebay ID is bosscamaro he is a great guy to deal with, and not a scammer at all. I have bought several items from him and always top quality/condition for
a great price.  If you need something email him and he probably has it.

Offline 78w72

• Adv. Member
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 01:01:43 PM »

Mario's parts (BossCamaro) are legit.  I sell him quite a few parts, which he reconditions and sells.  He has always been honest with me.

X2.  i've sold quite a few things to him over the years, seems like a nice guy & i never had any problems.   i think the reason sellers like that get labeled "scammers" or "scalpers" is because they buy parts from other sellers (like myself or kentuckyyetti) at VERY low prices then mark them up (sometimes to outrageous levels),  that is frowned upon by the majority of guys in the hobby & mostly by the people that are on a budget & trying to aquire parts at fair prices for their restoration. 

but when the reselling is done so obviously it can look tacky. when i first realized this i was like, "hey, thats my part i just sold you for super cheap & now you are selling it for 3-4 times what you paid for it just because you shot it with some spray paint!"  these sellers simply buy a part then just clean it or paint it, or sometimes do nothing to it & relist it for ALOT more than they paid.  then the shipping is simple, just use the same box it came in & re-ship it.  shoot, i may be in the wrong aspect of this business!   ???

i sell t/a parts as a hobby & to help out others in the hobby,  been doing it since basically before the internet even existed.  nowadays technology allows people to locate almost anything they need, if that means some guys sit at a desk & buy hundreds of parts with the sole intention of relisting them for higher prices to make a profit, thats fine i guess.  thats what america is built on & thats what happens to all of us when we buy something from a store....  there would be alot of pissed off consumers if they knew what the store actually paid for things they sell.  your $50 pair of jeans probably cost sears about $10!

what confuses me though, is why do people pay the prices some of these sellers try to get.  example: i sell fuel/volt gauges for like $10... there are sellers that try to sell them for 40-50 & up...& people buy them!  i think this is ruining the hobby,  you always see "these sell for $xx on ebay so thats what its worth"... or the barret-jackson auctions,  you see a super low mile or rare t/a or other car selll for ridiculous prices to people that have more money than brains,  then you see other guys saying,  "these cars are worth $50,000 so i want 20 grand for my run of the mill, worn out & rusted non original t/a."  or other stores that say  "25% off super sale"  big deal, 25% of something that is marked up 50-75% is still a rip off no matter how its sliced!  sorry for the rant, just my 2 cents on that subject.  nothing wrong with making a profit i guess. 

back on the topic:  not all 2nd chance offers or private listings are fraud or scams.  if something sells & the buyer doesnt pay for numerous reasons, & believe it does happen alot, then it is much easier for the seller to offer a 2nd chance offer to the next highest bidder, it is only allowed to the next bidder in line that lost the auction.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 02:55:09 PM by 78w72 »
78 w72 ws6 4 speed
81 turbo pace car
lots of other past t/a's